Over the weekend of August 26, 2017, the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) will update the Registration and Title System (RTS) and Internet Vehicle Title and Registration Service (IVTRS) with Release 8.10 that contains the content summarized below.
Several bills mandate changes effective September 1, 2017, and include the following:
- Trailers, semitrailers, and pole trailers 7,500 lbs. or less are exempt from inspection requirements.
Note: Beginning with the December registration renewals, these trailers will display a message that the vehicle is not required to pass an annual inspection.
- Trailers, semitrailers, and pole trailers 4501 to 7,500 lbs. will pay a $7.50 Mobility/Clean Air fee in lieu of an inspection fee.
- Travel Trailers cannot be larger than 8 feet 6 inches in width and 45 feet in length. An error message will be presented if the dimensions entered are greater than both.
- IVTRS renewal receipts will serve as proof of registration for 31 days from time of renewal.
- Commercial vehicles for which inspection cannot be verified, must pay the state’s portion of the commercial inspection fee at time of initial registration and renewal. Commercial vehicles are any vehicles with a gross vehicle weight greater than 26,000 lbs.
- New specialty license plates: o Star of Texas
o In God We Trust (84th Legislative Session)
o 42 new military and disabled veteran plates
o 100 Year Anniversary will also be introduced to celebrate 100 years of license plates in Texas.
The following non-legislative changes will be available in RTS on Monday, August 21, 2017:
- Annual plates will no longer be stocked by the counties or be manufactured with the month and year of expiration on the license plate. Registration for annual license plates will be staggered based on the date of initial application or renewal; and issued a windshield or plate sticker based on the type of vehicle. Go Texan 2 Combination plates will be issued from virtual inventory and a specialty plate insignia will be generated. The following are the annual license plates the counties process: o Go Texan 2 Combination.
o Soil Conservation
o Disaster Relief
Note: The annual plate changes will be effective January 2018.
- When NMVTIS indicates a brand 10 (RECONSTRUCTED-VEHICLE PERMANENTLY ALTERED) from Alaska, North Carolina, Louisiana, or West Virginia, RTS will automatically equate this to a brand 09 (REBUILT-PRIOR SALVAGE), so that it can be correctly registered and titled.
- “Junked” in the remarks section will no longer display on motor vehicle records upon issuance of salvage and nonrepairable titles and certificates of authority to demolish. The absence of this remark does not change the procedures for handling a transaction.
- When processing a $3 military plate (POW, Purple Heart, DV, and Pearl Harbor), the Charge Special Plate Fee checkbox defaults as checked including when cancelling back to make a correction.
- Workstation 99 will close nightly for all counties even when there are no IVTRS Centralized Fulfillment transactions.
- Renewals processed through IVTRS Centralized Fulfillment will display the vehicle address.
- County users can select a predefined reason when declining a Centralized Fulfillment renewal.
For detailed information about the items listed above and additional enhancements and issue resolutions after the release has been deployed, please refer to the RTS Online Help, the Release Notes tab on the TAC Hub (www.txdmv.gov/tax-assessor-collectors) or the RTS Refactoring Resources page (www.txdmv.gov/rts-refactoring-resources).
If you would like to speak to a Service Desk representative, please call us at 512-465-4010 or toll free at 1-877-933-2020. The Service Desk is available from 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM CDT, Monday through Friday. You may also send email to: ServiceDesk@TxDMV.gov.
TxDMV Service Desk
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles
IT Services Division
3800 Jackson Ave Austin, TX 78731
(512) 465-4010 (877) 933-2020
Source: Tax Assessor-Collectors
INITIAL NOTIFICATION: RTS Release 8.10 (08/18/2017)