The Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) would like to make you aware of the upcoming December 19, 2016, Registration and Title System (RTS) Release 8.8. This release is currently scheduled to contain the following content and several resolutions to issues reported by RTS users. Please refer to the attached release notes for more detailed information.
- RTS Agreement Popup: After logging into the RTS Point of Sale system (POS), a new popup displays to inform users that the system is for authorized use only and is monitored to ensure proper operation. Users must click the “I Accept” button to continue.
- Combination License Plates Updates:
- The month and year of registration expiration will no longer be embossed on combination license plates when they are manufactured. In place of the embossed expiration, a windshield sticker will be issued.
- Initial registration for combination plate renewals will now be staggered based on the date the application is requested instead of all combination plates expiring in March.
- Online Registration Renewals Removed for Certain Registration Classes: Certain registration renewals (such as Antique, Fertilizer, and Combination license plates) will not be available online if the renewals involve issuing new license plates. Customers must visit a county tax office for these types of renewals.
- Specialty License Plate Updates:
- The images on the Houston Astros, Keep Texas Beautiful, and Texas Music specialty license plates have been updated and can be ordered for motorcycles, mopeds, trailers, and private buses as well as passenger vehicles and trucks.
- A series of specialty license plates is available for disabled veterans who served with the 36th Infantry division of the US Armed Forces and those disabled veterans who received a commendation medal for their service in the Airforce, Army, Coast Guard, Joint Services, or Navy/Marine Corps. These specialty license plates are available for passenger vehicles, trucks, and motorcycles/mopeds.
- The image on the Alamo specialty license plate for motorcycles/mopeds has been resized.
- Travel Trailer Length/Width Calculations Updates: An IN (inches) field has been added for entry of trailer lengths to the appropriate pages. Additionally, if the travel trailer exceeds 8 feet in width AND 40 feet in length, an error is displayed, and the transaction cannot continue.
- Park Model Trailer Updates:
- If the Park Model Trailer checkbox contains a checkmark on the appropriate pages, the length and width fields will be used to calculate the square feet which will be displayed in the SqFt field. If the value calculated exceeds 400 square feet, an error is displayed, and the transaction cannot continue.
- The “Permit Required to Move” remark will no longer print on the Certificate of Title or display in the RTS POS on new title transfers. Note that the remark will remain on existing titles.
- NMVTIS Updates:
- The NMVTIS batch process will be updated to include inactive and archived records during inquiries. When these records are called up and transferred, an inquiry will be conducted.
- To avoid unnecessary errors from occurring on the county NMVTIS reports, certain brands have been remapped or removed. For example, NMVTIS Brand 49 (Salvage – Stolen) will no longer result in an error on county error reports since Texas does not consider stolen vehicles salvage vehicles. Additionally, NMVTIS Brand 07 (Dismantled) from Arizona will now display as NMVTIS Brand 11 (Salvage) on county error reports since Arizona allows these vehicles to be repaired.
It is important to note that sometimes unforeseen issues or time restrictions force changes to the exact content that will be deployed. More information on this release and the related webinar schedule (if required) will be provided prior to the effective release date.
If you would like to speak to a Service Desk representative, please call us at 512-465-4010 or toll free at 1-877-933-2020, option one (1). The Service Desk is available from 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM CDT, Monday through Friday. You may also send email to: ServiceDesk@TxDMV.gov
TxDMV Service Desk
Department of Motor Vehicles
IT Services Division
3800 Jackson Ave
Austin, TX 78731